What Is Open Enrollment Period 2019?
Open Enrollment Period 2019, also called OEP 2019, runs from November 1, 2018 through December 15, 2018. During this time, you can sign up for individual health insurance for 2019.
Sign up here to receive deadline reminders! The deadline for health insurance is December 15, 2018.
Jump To A Section:
When Is OEP?
As mentioned above, Open Enrollment Period, called OEP 2019, typically runs from November 1 through December 15 2018.
However, this period does vary by state (Sign up here to receive deadline reminders by state). The following states extended open enrollment deadlines:
Don’t miss these extended deadline announcements. If you’d like us to remind you when deadlines are approaching for your specific state, enter your ZIP code and email here.
What Kinds of Health Insurance Can You Get?
- Affordable Care Act / Obamacare
- Read about health insurance plan types
- Alternatives to Affordable Care Act plans
What’s Changed From Past Years?
- Individual Mandate / Obamacare Penalty – The tax penalty for going without minimum essential coverage is going away in 2019, but not 2018.
- 2019 price change trends – Prices have generally increased less than they have in previous years.
- 2019 new insurers joining ACA – A handful of small companies have begun offering insurance, increasing consumer choice.
- Enhanced Direct Enrollment – In summary, this change will simplify the enrollment process for you compared to previous years.
What Do You Need to Know Going Into Open Enrollment?
- Personal Situation Research
- Do you expect any major medical operations or pregnancies in the coming year?
- What are your goals? Are you looking for cheaper coverage, better coverage?
- Understand Obamacare / ACA options
- 4 levels of health insurance plans: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Levels determine which costs are shared between you and your plan. Your care is the same no matter which plan you choose.
- Consider your total healthcare costs, not just the premium.
- Know your alternatives, including Short-Term Health Plans.
- Collect information you’ll need to apply
- Household size
- Household income
- Current coverage information
- Sign up for OEP deadline email reminders here
- Figure out your Obamacare subsidy eligibility with our Subsidy Calculator
Can You Still Get Health Insurance for 2018?
You can still get a comprehensive health insurance plan to cover you for the rest of 2018, even after the Open Enrollment Period begins. However, you’ll need to call HealthCare.com’s hotline, as plan information will have disappeared online.
Remember, plans last from January through December, so you’ll actually join two different plans – one for 2018 and one for 2019.
More Resources for Purchasing Health Insurance
- HealthCare.com Guides to Buying and Using Health Insurance
- The CheckUp health insurance advice blog
- HealthCare.com Comparison Tool to shop
- What to Check Before You Renew Health Insurance
- Prepare information (income, your situation, health-related plans for the future etc.)
- Research to decide what’s best for you (factors to consider when selecting a carrier)
- Compare plans on HealthCare.com, we’ll connect you with a licensed agent to purchase coverage
Questions? Feel free to email Cris!
Get a Free Health Insurance Quote
- Get an instant quote for health insurance plans
- Compare prices from over 300 carriers
- Find a plan that fits your budget