Q: Where Can I Get a Copy of My 1095 Tax Form?
Asked by Vickie on November 3, 2017
Contact Your Insurer Directly: Looking for your 1095 tax form? Contact your insurer directly to get a copy of your 1095 form – ONLY your insurer will have access to your 1095 tax form and can provide you with a copy.
- Click here if you purchased your plan via healthcare.gov.
- If you get healthcare from your employer, contact your company’s benefits department.
- If you found your coverage through our plan comparison tool, you’ll still need to contact your insurer; we don’t have access to anyone’s 1095 tax form.
How Can I Find My Insurer? Call the main number on the back of your insurance card. If you can’t find your insurance card, use a search engine to reach your insurance company. Even if you’re no longer enrolled, your insurance provider still has to promptly mail a 1095 tax form if you request it.
What Is a 1095 Form? The 1095 tax form is a simple letter from your insurance provider that lists each month you had health insurance. You generally need to have coverage for 9 months to avoid a tax penalty. The 1095 form serves as proof for tax purposes.
Your 1095 form may also include the information that you’ll need to file for health tax credits, which can be a huge help to you.
Do I Need a 1095 to Pay My Taxes? Your 1095 document may be called a 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C form, depending on what type of health insurance you had last year.
- If you’re expecting a 1095-A, you will need the form before you finish your taxes. People who receive health insurance subsidies generally get a 1095-A.
- If you’re only expecting a 1095-B or a 1095-C, you can typically mail your taxes without the form, as long as you know whether or not you were insured. If you received health insurance through an employer, or through a government program like Medicaid or Medicare, you’ll probably get a 1095-B or 1095-C.
How Many 1095 Forms Should I Expect? You’ll receive a 1095 form from each health plan you had over the past calendar year.
You won’t receive a 1095 if you didn’t have health insurance during the previous year, since the form comes from your insurance carrier.
What If I Had A Short-Term Plan? Short-term plans, also known as temporary health insurance, cannot send you a 1095 form. These are plans specially designed to be temporary – they’re not the same thing as having comprehensive health insurance for a limited period of time. These plans do not count as health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.
How Long Should It Take to Get My 1095? Since your taxes are due on April 15, you should generally expect to receive your 1095 tax form by March.
HealthCare.com CANNOT Provide Your 1095 Form – Calling HealthCare.com will only make it harder to get your 1095 form. HealthCare.com connects you to health insurance brokers, who are unable to transfer you to health insurance customer service. Our partners would not know whether or not you had health insurance last year. Our partners do not have the information required to provide 1095 forms.
Taking the Next Steps
Do you have the right health insurance coverage? Don’t have coverage to begin with? Search our database of individual health insurance plans and find the right plan for you.
Get a Free Health Insurance Quote
- Get an instant quote for health insurance plans
- Compare prices from over 300 carriers
- Find a plan that fits your budget