Walgreens is teaming up with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW) to improve veterans’ access to mental and behavioral healthcare.
The main goal of the collaboration is to raise awareness of mental health issues, suicide prevention, and opioid abuse, with a specific focus on the ways in which these issues affect the veteran community. The partnership will also support the VA’s Make the Connection campaign, which highlights veterans’ personal stories of navigating and overcoming mental health challenges.
In the coming months, Walgreens and the VA will launch initiatives aimed at increasing awareness of opioid abuse in the veteran community. They will also disseminate educational materials to provide veterans with information about treatments for opioid abuse and how to obtain and administer antidotes like Naloxone in the event of an overdose.
The partnership’s launch is quite timely, as the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and other advocacy groups use the month of May to ramp up efforts aimed at eliminating the stigma and shame surrounding mental illness. In addition, the announcement of the partnership occurs on the heels of recent current events directing renewed attention to veterans’ mental health.
Have a personal healthcare story to share? Write a brief summary of what you’d like to share and email us at email@example.com. From there, we’ll make sure to follow-up and set-up an interview.
- How Is Healthcare Affected By GOP Tax Bill, Repeal of Net Neutrality Rules? - December 21, 2017
- Do You Need to Do Anything During This Open Enrollment Period? - November 20, 2017
- 5 Senior Care Startups Revolutionizing the Traditional Nursing Home - August 16, 2017
- Does Insurance Cover Service Dogs? - August 3, 2017
- Examining Part D: The Most-Prescribed Drug in Every U.S. State - July 28, 2017
- Health Insurance for Summer Camp: Does My Plan Cover My Child? - July 19, 2017
- Follow These 8 Tips to Reduce Your Out-of-Pocket Healthcare Costs - July 10, 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Breastfeeding Health Insurance Benefits - June 29, 2017
- 4 States Hit Hardest by BCRA Medicaid Cuts - June 27, 2017
- 10 Most Affordable LGBT-Friendly Mental Health Resources - June 22, 2017