[Image via Pixabay]
While the two roles sometimes fulfill the duties traditionally associated with doctors, it’s important to understand their similarities and differences.
As the primary care physician shortage in the U.S. intensifies, healthcare professionals such as Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and Physician Assistants (PAs) are increasingly in demand and are being called upon to assume more responsibility in providing primary care.
According to research conducted by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), “Increased use of NPs and PAs could somewhat alleviate the projected primary care physician shortage if they are effectively integrated into the health care delivery system.” Both nurse practitioners and physician assistants have emerged as an attractive, practical solution for the physician shortage in America.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) also points out that in our current healthcare policy landscape, states are more willing to expand the legal scope of practice for NPs and PAs. After all, utilizing alternative medical providers alleviates some of the pressure on states to control rising medical costs. Considering that PAs and NPs will likely become more and more involved in primary care in the coming years, it’s worthwhile to understand the role played by each of these medical providers in our healthcare system.
So, what’s the difference between a nurse practitioner and a physician’s assistant? Between an M.D. and an D.O.? Learn more about how different healthcare providers figure into the larger picture of patient care.
Have a personal healthcare story to share? Write a brief summary of what you’d like to share and email us at email@example.com. From there, we’ll make sure to follow-up and set-up an interview.
- Dangers on the Diamond: Baseball Injuries and MLB Health Insurance - February 23, 2018
- How Is Healthcare Affected By GOP Tax Bill, Repeal of Net Neutrality Rules? - December 21, 2017
- Do You Need to Do Anything During This Open Enrollment Period? - November 20, 2017
- 5 Senior Care Startups Revolutionizing the Traditional Nursing Home - August 16, 2017
- Does Insurance Cover Service Dogs? - August 3, 2017
- Examining Part D: The Most-Prescribed Drug in Every U.S. State - July 28, 2017
- Health Insurance for Summer Camp: Does My Plan Cover My Child? - July 19, 2017
- Follow These 8 Tips to Reduce Your Out-of-Pocket Healthcare Costs - July 10, 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Breastfeeding Health Insurance Benefits - June 29, 2017
- 4 States Hit Hardest by BCRA Medicaid Cuts - June 27, 2017